The links on this page provide data and documentation related to the state citizen and government ideology measures originally reported in:
William D. Berry, Evan J. Ringquist, Richard C. Fording, Russell L. Hanson. 1998. Measuring Citizen and Government Ideology in the American States, 1960-93. American Journal of Political Science, Vol. 42, No. 1 (Jan.), pp. 327-348.
Updated Measures of Citizen and Government Ideology (Last Updated 03/19/2015)*
- Documentation (download)
- Updated Citizen and Government Ideology Data, 1960-2013 (Stata format Excel format)
Nominate Version of State Government Ideology, 1960-2004 (From 2010 SPPQ Article)
- Documentation (download); Data download: (Stata file)
- Our response to Shor and McCarty’s recent article in the American Political Science Review (Forthcoming in State Politics and Policy Quarterly): “A New Measure of State Government Ideology, and New Evidence that an Old Measure Performs Well”
Data & Documentation for Original Measures of Citizen and Gov’t Ideology (1960-93):
- Original Citizen and Government Ideology Measures, 1960-1993 (download)
- Unpublished Supplement to 1998 AJPS article (download)
- Replication dataset and documentation for citizen and government ideology measures reported in 1998 AJPS article (download)
- Data and documentation necessary to replicate analyses presented in Table 1 of the AJPS article (download)
*For information concerning previously released updates of the citizen and government ideology scores (including data requests), please contact Richard Fording, University of Alabama.